Experience Kuranda Scenic Railway | Timetable, Getting There & More
Set amidst tropical North Queensland, the Kuranda Scenic Railway is the best way to admire the beauty of the Kuranda rainforest. Admire the scenic sights, walking trails, and magnificent waterfalls as you ride the Kuranda Scenic Railway. Head on an adventure in the century-old trains through the verdant landscapes of Kuranda and feast on the mesmerising views as the train passes through the 55 bridges, 15 tunnels, and inspiring waterfalls.
Read on to plan your visit to Kuranda and know more about Kuranda scenic railway timetable.
Best Time to Visit Kuranda Scenic Railway
Monsoon weather starts from November to March, which is the best time to enjoy the Kuranda Railway ride. The rain and pleasant weather makes it perfect to spend some peaceful time and will show the best shades of greenery.
Another tip to enjoy the Kuranda Railway ride and avoid the rush is to plan a trip during morning hours or on weekdays.
Kuranda Scenic Railway Stations
1. The Kuranda Scenic Railway starts from the Cairns station.
Address: (Cairns Railway Station) Bunda St, Cairns QLD 4870, Australia. Find on Maps
Closest landmark: Cairns Central Shopping Centre (550 metres - 3 minutes walk)
2. The next station on this line is the Freshwater station.
Address: Barron QLD 4878, Australia. Find on Maps
3. The final station on this line is the Kuranda Railway Station.
Address: Coondoo St, Kuranda QLD 4881, Australia. Find on Maps
Getting to Kuranda Scenic Railway Station
If you are planning to reach the station by the fastest transportation, you can take a taxi from Cairns Airport.
Get a direct train to Cairns Station from where you can catch the Kuranda Scenic Railway. The train service operates twice on a daily basis and the journey will take around 18 minutes.
The nearest bus station is Cairns City Station, which is 6 minutes from Cairns railway station. Lines 110, 111, 120, 121, 123, 142, and 143W operate daily at Cairns City Station.
If you decide to drive down to Cairns railway station, there is free parking at Cairns Central Shopping Centre next door to the station.
Kuranda Scenic Railway Route
The Kuranda Scenic Railway journey takes you through the World Heritage-protected tropical rainforest of Kuranda. Here is a list of the stops on your journey.
- Cairns Railway Station: The Cairns station is the starting point for the Kuranda railway journey.
- Freshwater Railway Station: This is the first stop of the Kuranda scenic railway journey. The station is known as the most popular tourist point for its quiet, leafy suburb, and tropical gardens.
- Jungara: This is the second most famous point of Kuranda's scenic railway journey that features a 180-degree bend with a five-chain (100.58m) radius curve.
- Stoney Creek Falls: The Stoney Creek Falls is the most unique feature of the railway line. This is a beautiful waterfall and an excellent nature destination.
- Barron Falls Stop: The most photographic stop with a significant height of 250 metres, the views of the spectacular Barron Falls are unbeatable.
- Kuranda Railway Station: This is the last stop of the journey. Popularly known as "the village in the rainforest", the Kuranda village is home to the Koala gardens, the Australian Butterfly Sanctuary, and bustling markets.
Know Before You Go
- The Kuranda Scenic train offers some luggage storage space for visitors, but this isn’t sufficient for large bags.
- There are markets near the stations to buy gifts or souvenirs for friends and family.
- Toilets are available on the train.
- Filtered water is available for drinking in the Heritage carriage.
- Snacks and refreshments are available if you book Gold-class tickets.
- Ramps and raised platforms are available for easier boarding and deboarding of the train.
- There is a wheelchair accessible coach that also has an accessible toilet.
- You can get wheelchair assistance, however, you’ll be required to inform in prior while booking.
- There is ample space if you're bringing a service animal along, but you will have to inform the train service beforehand to make the necessary accommodations.
- Free tickets are available for carers with valid identification.
- Storage space on the train is limited, so make sure that you use a luggage storage service. You can find one near the Cairns Railway Station.
- Children aged 14 or below must be accompanied by an adult (16 or above).
- Children are not allowed in a stroller or pram to travel on the train.
- Reach at least 15 minutes before the train departure time to ensure getting on board. The train will not wait if you’re late.
- Carry a good camera; you are going to have plenty of mesmerising views to click pictures of.
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes and don’t forget sun protection, especially if you’re visiting the Kuranda Village.
- Carry an insect repellent if you wish to explore the rainforests.
- Don’t forget medication for motion sickness if you’re easily affected when inside a moving vehicle.
- Use the free shuttle service between Kuranda Railway Station and the Skyrail if you wish to take the aerial journey back.
Frequently Asked Questions About Visiting Kuranda Scenic Railway
The Kuranda Scenic Railway starts in the heart of Cairns City in Queensland, Australia. It takes a scenic route through the rainforests of Kuranda, giving you mesmerising views of several waterfalls, bridges, and the forest floor.
Yes, you can easily take a trip on the Kuranda Scenic Railway with online tickets.
With scenic views of the natural landscape of the tropical rainforest of North Queensland, the Kuranda Scenic Railway is a one-of-a-kind experience that every travel enthusiast must definitely indulge in.
No. You will need to book Kuranda Scenic Railway tickets to be able to ride the train.
You can easily book Kuranda Scenic Railway tickets online.
The price of a one-way trip on the Kuranda Scenic Railway starts from A$50.
The best time to enjoy the Kuranda Scenic Railway ride is during the monsoon.
The Kuranda Scenic Railway operates twice every day.
Yes, you can visit Kuranda Scenic Railway with children.
Yes, there is a wheelchair-accessible coach available on the Kuranda Scenic Railway.
It takes around 2 hours to travel one way from Cairns to Kuranda or vice-versa.